Discussion: Who is Red John?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 14008  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 4 5 | Next > Last

brookshire
Who is Red John?
May 2 2009, 1:09 PM EDT | Post edited: May 2 2009, 1:09 PM EDT
In the episode "Red John's Friends," the Director of the CBI coincidentally leaves "to visit (his) sister in Hawaii" just prior to Red John's murder of the ex-con who at least indirectly knew him. We also found out that Red John has access to the CBI Computer network and can manipulate his way through communications with Patrick and the others. My fiance and I were subsequently thinking that Red John might be the CBI Director. What will need eventually to be explained is who exactly was having "(his) feelings trifled with," the specific context involved and who Patrick himself might think Red John might be. Surely after five years--now six--of agonizing guilt, he remembers in great detail the specifics of the person he was conning and how that person might connect to Red John. Will no doubt be a great television ride... 23  out of 39 found this valuable. Do you?    

abefroman
1. RE: Who is Red John?
May 19 2009, 8:24 PM EDT | Post edited: May 19 2009, 8:24 PM EDT
I thought the exact same thing at the time, and after watching tonight's episode and seeing how the director knew what the last name of Roy whatever his name was meant literally and the fact that he has only been around in the red john episodes, it really does look like him. But now I think it is almost too obvious if it were him - as if the writers are doing this intentionally to throw the viewers off a bit.
10  out of 20 found this valuable. Do you?    
Dela.Kotkin
Dela.Kotkin
2. RE: Who is Red John?
May 19 2009, 11:45 PM EDT | Post edited: May 19 2009, 11:45 PM EDT
That discussion is allready here: http://www.thementalisttvshow.com/thread/2647137/Red+John+is+Virgil+Minelli 10  out of 18 found this valuable. Do you?    

brookshire
3. RE: Who is Red John?
May 20 2009, 5:41 AM EDT | Post edited: May 20 2009, 5:41 AM EDT
I think you have a point about the Director being obvious, but he still is a distinct possibility for Red John. The writers may well be throwing us bones that look like bones to get us to think they're not actually bones. It will certainly be fun to see how this develops. As I told my fiance, "The Mentalist" is some of the best theological explorations I have ever seen on television. That's what makes it so enriching to me. 10  out of 14 found this valuable. Do you?    

davidio37
4. RE: Who is Red John?
May 21 2009, 5:29 AM EDT | Post edited: May 21 2009, 5:29 AM EDT
I thought my family and I were the only ones who thought this! Another hint is that the man who is released is found dead with a prostitute. Written on the wall by the dead man before he died is "HE IS MAN." This could be that character''s misspelling of "Minnelli." 5  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    
RichardClark
RichardClark
5. RE: Who is Red John?
Jun 4 2009, 2:15 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 4 2009, 2:15 PM EDT
It says "He is Ma" the last letter looks more like an r than an n. thus the writting is incomplete...which leads me to believe it was meant to say "He is married" 11  out of 21 found this valuable. Do you?    

bythewall
6. RE: Who is Red John?
Jun 23 2009, 3:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 23 2009, 3:49 PM EDT
you guys are probely going to think im crazy but i think its the store owners son, in the episode when the figure out that red john would have to be good with computers, there is stated that the son was one possiblity, but quickly ruled out, but one that was never fully explored was the store owners son, beucase i remebr when the owner was walking off stage he mentioned that his son was realy good with that sort of thing, now given thats relay not much to go on but i find with shows like this such as bones and teh grave digger, it may just be someone u see or hear of once, it donst always haev to be someone u always see. 5  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
Maste75
Maste75
7. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 6 2009, 11:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 6 2009, 11:00 PM EDT
I think it would be nice a crossover with criminal minds... The BAU team that helpes Jane to find Red John sounds good! 16  out of 23 found this valuable. Do you?    

SamHaywood
8. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 20 2009, 1:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 20 2009, 1:14 PM EDT
This seems to make sense because without the nine-month loop tape at the store installed by the son there would be no proof other than Jane's mental acuity that the police chief was responsible . It is almost as of Red John set up the police chief, as Jane said "Red John doesn't have friends only tools" it seems he used the police chief to trap Jane and do his bidding. 8  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
ch1mpb0y
ch1mpb0y
9. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 23 2009, 1:36 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 23 2009, 1:36 PM EDT
"you guys are probely going to think im crazy but i think its the store owners son, in the episode when the figure out that red john would have to be good with computers, there is stated that the son was one possiblity, but quickly ruled out, but one that was never fully explored was the store owners son, beucase i remebr when the owner was walking off stage he mentioned that his son was realy good with that sort of thing, now given thats relay not much to go on but i find with shows like this such as bones and teh grave digger, it may just be someone u see or hear of once, it donst always haev to be someone u always see. "
I am sure that it is the Blind RED headed women.........just as the sheriff kicks off in the room under the barn it flashes back to the CCTV cameras and there is a cup in front of the TV and it's the same cup PJ was drinking from while he was listening to her play Bach on the piano after saying it was RJ's favourite music
13  out of 17 found this valuable. Do you?    
amk358
amk358
10. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 24 2009, 3:06 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 24 2009, 3:06 AM EDT
It has to be somebody really intelligent, good at keeping a low profile and who is either brilliant with technology or has inside access. I think if it were the chief Patrick might have spotted it, but as he's so personally involved perhaps not. I think it's more likely to be someone we've only see in the background. They'll keep us guessing for as long as possible. It's also possible he has other friends that are helping him. It could be a woman, what about the psychic that told Patrick Jane that his daughter didn't wake up when she was killed. Is she a real psychic or was she there?! 11  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    

RedDan
11. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 24 2009, 12:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 24 2009, 12:49 PM EDT
I can't believe no-one else can see it! (excuse the pun!) It is sooooo the blind 'red' haired lady!

I have re-watched the episode looking for this and the Tea Cup is continually featured throughout the episode once we meet her and then twice shown in front of the monitors 'Red John' used to view the cellar at the end of the show. She is not really blind, she is Red John... Their are enough pointers to show it! - I would be intrigued to see if she is in earlier episodes (in the background)...
17  out of 21 found this valuable. Do you?    
amk358
amk358
12. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 24 2009, 11:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 24 2009, 11:18 PM EDT
I get your point about the blind woman, but I think it's a red-herring, at least I hope so!! She may well be a Red John accomplice but I'd like to think that they can come up with something to test our grey matter a little more than that!! They did suggest that Red John could be Red Jane and Simon Baker thought it would be an interesting idea. So it's certainly possible. 6  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
amk358
amk358
13. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 24 2009, 11:44 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 24 2009, 11:44 PM EDT
I think that Red John is likely to a mentalist (possibly female!). We've had some insight into what mentalists can do with hypnotism and suggestion. I think that whoever Red John is and I'm guessing that they're female and married to a police officer, that they didn't kill anyone themself. I feel that they have someone else to do that, probably by using hypnosis. If they are married to a police officer (maybe someone high up) they would have access to information using their mentalist skills, plus access to the kind of people who would kill under hypnosis. Just a theory!! 9  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    

pav789
14. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 26 2009, 3:40 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2009, 3:40 AM EDT
Yes that is what i thought if you look at the family farm when the door is locked you see a cup of tea and the blind lady also had the same cup... wierd so i think it is the blind lady or some one close to the mentalist 4  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

ladyvaletta
15. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 26 2009, 6:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2009, 6:25 AM EDT
I think it's Patrick himself... last episode Season 1 - the look that passed between him and the kidnapped girl just as she was found... he shot the sherriff, not properly explained... that little smile at the very end, as he left the house, and picked an orange from the tree... 10  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    
amk358
amk358
16. RE: Who is Red John?
Aug 26 2009, 7:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2009, 7:11 AM EDT
I don't think it's Patrick, I think he smiled because he was just happy that he saved Lisbon. He tries hard not to get too consumed by what happened to him. Perhaps the look he gave the girl was because he wished he'd found his own wife and child alive. 11  out of 13 found this valuable. Do you?    
incognitodoom
incognitodoom
17. RE: Who is Red John?
Sep 7 2009, 5:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 7 2009, 5:46 PM EDT
I go with the hypothesis that Red John is not one person but many, as "He is Man" could have been a incomplete sentence and in truth was "He is Many".

Although something that intrigues me is that Red John it could be the opposite of Patrick Jane, as the name Patrick is related to religion or politician as it means patrician, noble, while Jane is a female name. So that name could be representing church, that almost always is considered female, inequality, division, hierarchy. In contrast to "red", could be in reference to communism, that pursuits equality or at the very least equity, and so is against hierarchy and nobility, and sometimes even religion, although not necessarily. And then there is "John" that is clear is the opposite of Jane, as is the male counterpart.

Where does that leads? Well that depends on what "many" can mean, maybe many individuals working together, or many personalities in one mind. Maybe is a direct opposite personality that Patrick created of himself, or a name that the writers came up with to accentuate Red John as Patrick Jane as nemesis. I kind of doubt that is a person related directly to Patrick, as before Red John killed Patrick's family he had killed other women not related to him as far as we know.

Then there is the face, a smiley face that is crying, that could mean someone that apparently is happy, but in truth is not, like the mentalist himself, who seems always in control, although it does not necessarily means it has to be him, as many other people could apparent to be happy and be sad on the inside. It might even mean how happy the killer felt when he killed the person, and how unsatisfied or repented he (or she, as Red John, as speculated before could be no only be opposite in name to Patrick but in gender as well, although I doubt it, as the guy Red John killed was not a weakling) felt afterwards.
10  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    

holr22
18. RE: Who is Red John?
Sep 17 2009, 6:53 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 17 2009, 6:53 PM EDT
"I can't believe no-one else can see it! (excuse the pun!) It is sooooo the blind 'red' haired lady!

I have re-watched the episode looking for this and the Tea Cup is continually featured throughout the episode once we meet her and then twice shown in front of the monitors 'Red John' used to view the cellar at the end of the show. She is not really blind, she is Red John... Their are enough pointers to show it! - I would be intrigued to see if she is in earlier episodes (in the background)..."
Didn't the accomplice police officer guy say that red john was a friend of his dad's? the blind lady didn't seem that old...but i guess she still could have been friends with his dad?? i am so hooked on this show...can't wait for the reveal :)
6  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
amk358
amk358
19. RE: Who is Red John?
Sep 17 2009, 10:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 17 2009, 10:58 PM EDT
Red John could be her father for all we know!! That would make sense. 7  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 4 5 | Next > Last